Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Crusty French Bread

I've made this bread from my favorite bread recipe book for over 13 years.  Thankfully I blog my recipes so I was able to salvage this particular recipe from my other blog.  I lost all my cookbook collection (over 200) in my divorce I've just gone through.

Please enjoy and love this recipe as much as I do!!

INGREDIENTS:
1pkg. dry yeast
1 1/2c. lukewarm water (it is so important to get your water right, if its too hot it will kill the yeast and if not hot enough it won't activate it)
1 1/2t. kosher salt
4c. unbleached flour
 
DIRECTIONS:
 
1.Place the water in a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir to dissolve. Add salt. Begin adding the flour gradually until all 4 cups are used. Be sure the flour is well incorporated. The dough will be very stiff and you may need to use your hands to make sure the mixture is well combined.
 
2.Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, with a large wooden spoon, work through the dough. Do this 5 consecutive times, letting the dough rest 10 minutes after each time you work through the dough. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and shape into a rectangle, roll the dough as for a jelly roll making it as tight as possible. seal the seam and the ends and taper the roll slightly.

 3.Grease a baking sheet and dust it with cornmeal. Place the roll onto the sheet and score diagonally 6 times. Let the loaves rise 1 1/2 hour, brushing with cold water through out. place a shallow pan of hot water and preheat oven to 400.  Bake for 10 minutes and brush with cold water. Continue baking another 20 to 30 minutes until done.



No comments:

Post a Comment